This is my letter to Barbara Boxer, United States Senator, requesting help with getting records released about the nature and extent of the contamination, and the base personnel’s exposure to the environmental contamination at the former George AFB.
Over fifty thousand people may have been exposed to hazardous chemicals at the former George Air Force Base, CA, “EPA Superfund ID: CA2570024453″ and surrounding community. We desperately need the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) conduct a new Public Health Assessment for George AFB and surrounding community and this cannot be accomplished without the release of these records.
What can I do?
Contact the President, your Senators, and Congressman or Congresswoman and request a new Public Health Assessment for George AFB.
Frank Vera III
P.O. Box 1313
Jamestown, CA 95327-1313
November 30, 2014
The Honorable Barbara Boxer
United States Senator
Attention: Casework Department
70 Washington Street, Suite 203
Oakland, California 94607
In 1996, Senator Boxer investigated my 1973 accidental radiation exposure “with inhalation / ingestion of the hot particles” in the Southeast Disposal Area (SEDA) at the former George Air Force Base (AFB), CA, “EPA Superfund ID: CA2570024453.″
I am requesting Senator Boxer’s help with getting records released about the nature and extent of the contamination, and the base personnel’s exposure to the environmental contamination at the former George AFB.
Because Patrick Leahy, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, was able to subpoena and release the records of the contamination at the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, NC, I am asking that you please request Senator Leahy to subpoena and release the following records:
- The environmental assessment(s) / survey(s) conducted by John Richard Sabol, J.D., P.E. the Chief Environmental & Contracting Programming / Community Planner / Construction Engineer for George Air Force Base, CA from June 1976 to February 1981.
- 1991 Air Force Office of Special Investigation (AF OSI) investigation(s) conducted by AF OSI Special Agent xxx x. xxx, of the contamination and my exposure at the former George Air Force Base, CA.
- The pre-1992 epidemiological, environmental, and health survey(s) / investigation(s) for the George AFB personnel, their families, civilian employees, and / or the surrounding community which were conducted while the base was in operation.
- In 1973, I had an accidental radiation exposure “with inhalation / ingestion of the hot particles.”
- On March 29, 1990, I won the medical side of a Department of Veterans Affairs Compensation and Pension examination with diagnosis of “probable radiation myocarditis.”
- In 1990/1991, the Air Force Office of Special Investigation (AF OSI) investigated my accidental radiation exposure.
- On October 3, 1996, Stewart Liff, Director, Los Angeles VA Regional Office, responded to Senator Boxer’s investigation of my radiation exposure. Mr Liff stated that “His non-service connected disabilities are osteoporosis, condition of the skeletal system, pulmonary emphysema, heart condition [radiation myocarditis] and radiation exposure.”
As of today, the Air Force and Veterans Administration (VA) still do not acknowledge that I received a Service Connected radiation exposure while in the Air Force, stationed at George AFB. For this reason, the VA will not provide any medical care or compensation for my medical conditions which are a result of the radiation exposure.
Hundreds, possibly thousands, of people, including children, are sick, dying, or dead after exposure to the extremely toxic contamination at George AFB.
We desperately need the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) to conduct a new Public Health Assessment for George Air Force Base so that we can get medical care for friends and families, and help bring closure for those who lost their loved ones. This cannot be accomplished without the release of these records. The Air Force will not release any pertinent records under FOIA.
Please contact me if this request requires further clarification. I can be reached at xxx, or via email xxx. Thank you for your help.
Frank Vera III
Please feel free to use this letter as a template for your letters.
Contact Elected Officials | Download a Sample Letter
This page was updated on: 12/04/2014